The General Data Protection Regulation
They will be asked to sign both documents to signify that they understand & agree with (a) the format of the counselling process, confidentiality boundaries and payment methods; and (b) how information is collected, stored and held.
Personal Information I collect:
Preferred contact number(s)
Medical conditions and medication relevant to counselling
Client expectation from counselling
How I store information:
- Personal details are kept separate in a locked cabinet.
- IPad: Notes pertaining to sessional content are password protected.
- My mobile phone is locked & is password protected. I store your contact number under a code.
- Email /Texts: Email addresses are stored in my host account. Text messages are only assigned to codes not full names and are usually deleted from my phone within 48 hours.
- Website: No personal information is stored on my website other than to momentarily collect and send inquiries to my email account for initial contact purposes.
- Third party websites: Clients may find content on my website that link to the sites of other third parties. I do not control these sites which have a link to mine and I am not responsible for how they collect, store or use information
- Client is issued with a copy of the Counselling Contract at the commencement of counselling. A copy of the contract will be signed by both parties and each will hold a copy for their respective files.
- The Privacy Statement will be signed both parties and each will hold a copy for their respective files.
- Client sessional notes will be kept for 5 years to comply with Insurance policy terms.
How I may share your personal information:
- Supervision: I attend monthly clinical supervision to ensure my practice remains safe & ethical. Session details & client codes may be shared with my Supervisor.
- Therapeutic Will: Your name & contact details will be shared with my Therapeutic Executor so that in the unlikely event of my sudden death you can be contacted should you still be in therapy with me. My Therapeutic Executor adheres to the same confidentiality agreements.
- Emergencies: If your personal well-being is in jeopardy or you are considered to be at risk, I may share your details with a healthcare service provider such as your GP or member of a Mental Health Crisis Team. Whenever possible such decisions will be collaborative.
Erasing your information: All electronic inquiries are erased after 3 months. All texts, contact numbers are erased within 3 months following the cessation of therapy.
I hold all written information for 5 years following the cessation of therapy. This is so I have a reference should you decide to return to therapy in the future as well satisfying insurance policy requirements.
- Right to Access: You have the right to ask for a copy of your personal information, free of charge, in an electronic or paper format. You also have the right to ask me to amend or change any inaccurate information about you.
- Right to be Forgotten: You have the right to ask me to erase any information that I hold about you. This includes your personal information that is no longer relevant to original purposes, or if you wish to withdraw consent. In all cases and when considering such requests, these rights are obligatory unless it is information that I have a legal obligation to retain.
- Data Portability: As the client, you have the right to receive your personal information which you previously provided, you also have the right to transfer that information to a third party of your choice. For the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) 2019, the data “controller” is Ray Wilson.